Sunday, November 13, 2011

Grandma's Apron

The strings were tied, it was freshly washed, and maybe even pressed.
For Grandma, it was everyday to choose one when she dressed.
 
The simple apron that it was, you would never think about;
the things she used it for, that made it look worn out.
 
She may have used it to hold some wildflowers that she'd found. 
Or to hide a crying child's face when a stranger came around. 
 
Imagine all the little tears that were wiped with just that cloth. 
Or it became a potholder to serve some chicken broth.
 
She probably carried kindling to stoke the kitchen fire. 
To hold a load of laundry, or to wipe the clothesline wire.
 
When canning all her vegetables, it was used to wipe her brow. 
You never know, she might have used it to shoo flies from the cow.
 
She might have carried eggs in from the chicken coop outside. 
Whatever chore she used it for, she did them all with pride.
 
When Grandma went to heaven, God said she now could rest. 
I'm sure the apron that she chose, was her Sunday best.
 
~ Tina Trivett ~



"Aprons don’t hold us back, they take us back."
 ~ EllynAnne Geisel ~

 
Did you know November 23rd is  
National Tie One On Day?  
I hope you'll join me in wearing an apron to celebrate!



3 comments:

  1. Nice tribute to aprons...I don't use one myself, but they do give that sense of a warm home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine :) I have a collection from the thrift store... my mom told me there were about a dozen there for $1 each, some in better shape than others... so I ran to town and bought most of them :) I wear them occasionally ~ makes me feel like I'm back in the '50's! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for posting this article. Its a very useful article.

    Medical & Drug logos

    ReplyDelete

“Kind words can be short and easy to speak,
but their echoes are truly endless.”

~ Mother Teresa